Posted 14 days agoExpires in 26 days
New Street, Chelmsford
At this point in our journey, we are looking for a new full time residentiary Canon who can work with our creative and committed lay and ordained team as we continue to take forward this mission and respond to this calling.
An outstanding practitioner and enabler of others in evangelism and discipleship training with proven experience of growing congregations, developing leaders in mission and engaging people in life changing nurture, and a clear track record of being able to deliver effectively across a wide spectrum of traditions and contexts.
A priest in Anglican orders with wide experience who has been ordained for at least six years. A person of lively, enthusiastic faith with deep roots, characterized by generous orthodoxy in belief and practice; with a passionate vision for the work of an evangelist and the task of forming people as disciples in the way of Christ.
- you will be an ex officio member of Chapter, the Cathedral's governing body, with full trustee responsibility. As part of induction you will be expected to take part in the national Chapter training. Chapter meets nine times a year plus a 36 hour residential
- you will be an ex officio member of the Senior Executive Team which meets weekly to deliver Chapter decisions and monitor operations
- you will be responsible to the Dean for regular supervision and annual appraisal / Ministerial Development Review
Alongside the generic responsibilities of a residentiary Canon you have specific responsibility for:
- you will have responsibility for developing existing and new learning opportunities for study and nurture within the congregation and for new enquirers
- you will work with the Canon for Worship and Music to identify and develop complementary patterns of worship and new congregations
- you will be the Chapter lead for the Education Team (school visits) and work with the team coordinators in developing the opportunities of the growing relationships with schools
- you will be responsible, on behalf of Chapter, for the Cathedral’s Generous Giving programme
- You will engage with the Bishop’s Staff and diocesan staff generally to ensure that as the seat of the Bishop the Cathedral actively supports the work of the Bishop and collaborates with the wider diocese in the development and delivery of it strategy and programmes for evangelism and discipleship, specifically the on-going development of the priorities of Transforming Presence
- You will form good working relationships with diocesan officers working in clergy development, training and evangelism
- You will form robust partnerships for the delivery of your core tasks within the networks of the city including covenant churches, ecumenical partners and the independent churches
You will be:
- an imaginative and resilient priest who has been in full time ordained ministry for at least six years
- a person who is sustained by the Cathedral's pattern of daily prayer and Sunday worship
- a person who thrives in a complex, demanding environment and enjoys working in multidisciplinary teams
- an outstanding practitioner and enabler of others in evangelism and discipleship training with proven experience of growing congregations, developing leaders in mission and engaging people in life changing nurture, and a clear track record of being able to deliver effectively across a wide spectrum of traditions and contexts
- naturally collaborative and relational in your work style, with clear positive experience of working well with lay and ordained colleagues - equally able to take responsibility and share responsibility
- someone who takes seriously their own spiritual and ministerial accountability
You will have:
- demonstrable experience in governance and an excellent understanding of corporate responsibility
- clear experience of handling a complex role with a significant workload, with excellent organisational and administrative skills
- experience of managing staff and volunteers through regular supervision and appraisal
For more information about this application process, please use this link
Chelmsford is one of the newest cities in the UK and is a great place to live - a vibrant city centre with easy access to London (35 minutes to Liverpool Street Station) to the west and the Essex countryside and coast to the east.
The Cathedral is at the geographical centre of the diocese and is home to thriving congregations which continue to develop. But the wider challenge for the Cathedral is how a small cathedral, punching above its weight and seeking to make a difference, can serve a large and complex region and the wider networks of the Diocese.