The main responsibilities for this role are;
- To oversee the financial administration of the Official Expenses budget. The total allocation is set by the Church Commissioners and then devolved to each diocesan bishop for dispersal between the needs of the Diocesan and the Suffragan Bishops. The Finance Officer is responsible for the administration of this allocation and quarterly accounting to the Commissioners for how it is spent.
- To oversee the day to day maintenance of The Palace, in consultation with the agent appointed by the Church Commissioners for this purpose (currently a surveyor with Savills Winchester office). The Finance Officer undertakes this role in close collaboration with the Bishop directly or through the Senior Chaplain or equivalent head of staff.
- To ensure the future of The Palace as the official residence of the bishop of Chichester and its primary availability for the Bishop’s ministry.
- To develop appropriate commercial use of The Palace, maximizing income without detriment to The Palace’s primary purpose.
- To serve as clerk to the Bishop Otter Trust including but not limited to attendance at University of Chichester OGACC (Otter Gallery, Archives and Collections Committee) meetings and liaison with the stockbroker concerning the investment portfolio, its investment strategies and outcomes.
Please see job description for full main responsibilities