Posted 19 days agoExpires in 5 hours
£24,014 (£39,627 pro rata)
The Finance Department has a team of five staff.It delivers financial services for the South London Church Fund & Southwark Diocesan Board of Finance (SLCF) which provides financial and administrative support to the Church of England in the Diocese of Southwark.
The purpose of this role is to provide finance support and advice to parishes and to provide timely accounting information to support diocesan financial management and decision making. You will manage the annual collection of parish accounts for the almost 300 parishes in the Diocese, processing key statistics into the database for evaluation by other departments. Parish treasurers will ask you for guidance on charity accounting and trust issues.You will also provide general banking and comment on general investment policies. Together with colleagues you will support the delivery of training workshops for parish treasurers.
To maintain, administer and review the operation of Trust Funds.
- Operational management of trust accounts, including challenging the need for trusts, opening / closing funds, accepting deposits and making withdrawals.
- Buying and selling investments as instructed and keeping accurate records including posting all interest and dividend receipts.
- Give broad investment comments to parishes for whom we act as Custodian Trustees.
- Generate annual and ad-hoc reports
- Where appropriate, encourage PCCs to take over responsibility for assets held in trust so that trust funds can be closed
To manage the annual collection and submission of parish accounts
- Receive, review and file completed sets of annual accounts and submit
- Input the small number of paper Parish Finance Returns, onto the Church of England Statistical Unit database and look to encourage more parishes to complete the online return themselves
To support parishes by providing ongoing training in finance matters
- To assist in the preparation and presentation of the annual treasurers’ workshops.
- Keep training material updated in the light of latest legislation.
- Develop links between Finance and parishes/deaneries to encourage mutual support and the adoption of best practices
- Qualified accountant.
- Able to demonstrate thorough working knowledge of the principles, procedures and practices of accounting, financial records and transactions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally with parish treasurers and others.
- Experience of gathering, analysing and evaluating facts and data and preparing and presenting concise oral and written reports.
- Experienced in the interpretation of accounts and advising accordingly.
- Experience of providing high-level advice and support to budget holders.
- IT literate with an emphasis on financial systems, spreadsheets and business information systems.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with a variety of staff and volunteers.
- Ability to represent the diocese and deputise for the Financial Controller.
- Ability to develop and deliver relevant financial training.
- An appreciation of charity and / or trust accounting.
- A keen appreciation of business applications.
- An understanding of the Church of England and its structures.
- Experience of managing trust funds and grant and loan applications, particularly in relation to building projects.
- Experience of being a parish or charity treasurer.
The Diocese of Southwark, founded in 1905, forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England and is part of the wider Church of England, in turn part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The Diocese covers primarily the area of Greater London which is South of the Thames, together with the Eastern part of the county of Surrey. It is one of the largest dioceses in terms of population and parishes as well as one of the most diverse.