Posted 16 days agoExpires in 15 days
As Visitor Engagement Officer you will be responsible for generating income and expanding Southwark Cathedral’s audiences though visitor led activities. You will be responsible for the planning, marketing and delivery of an engaging programme of events, tours and exhibitions at the Cathedral, as well as working with us on identifying and putting plans in place to remedy barriers to achieving fantastic visitor experience.
Working with our spirit of place, you will work with the visitor services team to link everything we do back to our cause and the on-going work we do. As a champion of great Visitor Experience you’ll deliver high standards of presentation at the Cathedral, maximising opportunities to deepen visitors understanding of our stories and mission.
Southwark Cathedral has been a place of Christian worship for over 1400 years. Now it stands on the vibrant and exciting regenerated south bank of the Thames surrounded by tourist attractions and the head offices of major companies as well as the seat of London government.
The Cathedral is a very busy place, attracting 200,000 visitors a year. There are many activities that compete for space and time in a very full diary - however, the Cathedral‘s mission and ministry would not be possible without the valuable financial contribution made by its income generating activities. The Cathedral recognises it needs to broaden its appeal to different visitors by bringing new people to the Cathedral as visitors or events delegates and by doing so positively enhance our core mission.
Visitor Engagement Programme
- Plan, co-ordinate and deliver an engaging commercial programme of visitor led events, aimed at expending our audiences and boosting our visitor numbers
- Working with the Head Guide and VSM, develop the group visit offer, ensuring forthcoming anniversaries and activities are exploited
- Active involvement in the development and delivery of online and internal exhibitions
- Administration of all group visits and special tours, ensuring they are booked and co-ordinated accurately
- Coordinate and evaluate visitor and tour guide feedback, taking action to make improvements as necessary
Marketing & promotion
- Working with the VSM, implement a audience focused marketing plan to actively promote the Cathedrals events and group visits, making best use of available budget
- Actively manage marketing of events and visits, creating and delivering content for the website, listings, social media and e-newsletters
- Attend relevant tourism industry trade shows
- Engage with local stakeholders and organisations to promote events and group visits and raise awareness of the Cathedral’s role in the community
- Working with the Finance Team, ensure all fees are invoiced and paid for in advance
- Take active management of the tours and events income and expenditure budget lines, ensuring income targets are met and expenditure lines not overspent
- Take an active role in the Visitor Experience Group, working with internal teams to ensure barriers to increased positive visitor engagement are remedied
- Work with the Head Guide in managing the tour guides, ensuring they are kept up to date of Cathedral policy and are trained and delivering excellent customer service
- Work with the Verging and Facilities team to ensure events are coordinated and delivered to a high professional standard
- Respond to requests for information from the Cathedral’s archive
- Any other ad hoc duties as required by the VSM and Commercial Director
The post holder is expected to monitor and report on their work as directed by their line manger and adhere to office guidelines on manual handling, health and safety, lone working etc as advised, taking responsibility as appropriate
- Developing and delivering income generating visitor engagement programmes
- Working within a cultural, commercial or visitor attraction setting
- Working with and supervising volunteers
- Some knowledge and experience of managing budgets and finance
- Marketing and promotion of cultural events and programmes
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent people skills, enabling good working relationships with internal teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with a variety of visitors
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office
- Ability to work both collaboratively and on own initiative
- Works well under pressure, prioritising to meet deadlines
- Customer focused, passionate about excellent visitor experience
- Flexible, positive and creative
- Results focused, self-motivator with an entrepreneurial attitude
This post is open to candidates who are in sympathy with the aims and objectives of the Christian Church and the Anglican tradition. The Cathedral encourages equal opportunities.