Posted 13 days agoExpires in 5 days
The IT Department has undergone a radical transformation. IT now executes a mixture of on-premise, Cloud and 3rd party sourced IT services, in an entirely new and modern IT infrastructure that utilises the latest technologies.
The IT function serves 600 staff in the National Church Institutions (NCIs) and NCIS co-located bodies and aims to adopt common solutions across NCIs where practical. IT provides a broad range of customer focused IT services such as technical architecture and support, networks, change management, business analysis, project management, training, procurement, systems administration and applications.
As IT Database/Applications Manager, you will contribute to and comply with the IT Technical Architecture, Roadmaps and Design Authority to provide Database and applications support.
You will act as IT lead on 3rd party applications and SCCM, MDM, self-service BI platform, ETL routines, SQL server, web hosting and the availability of priority applications – SAP, UPM, HRIS, CRM, CALM Records & Archives.
Managing, administering and maintaining a range of secure databases, applications and websites used or hosted by the National Church Institutions (NCIs), you will collaborate with IT, staff colleagues and third parties to ensure effective and efficient IT standards from design to delivery.
To be successful, you will need a variety of skills and knowledge including extensive experience in providing day to day DBA and applications support, maintenance and development. As well as the ability to contribute technical expertise to IT Strategy development, you will be committed to building effective working relationships and delivering a high standard of customer service.
In return we offer a unique environment with opportunities for continuous learning, generous annual leave for work life balance, season ticket loans and a range of benefits including discounted entry to attractions and what we feel is a market leading package when it comes to our pension scheme.
- Support the Head of Technical Architecture to implement and manage the Technical Architecture and associated IT Roadmap and perform the design authority role
- Provide day to day 3rd line application support to service desk colleagues and provide 1st and 2nd line support documentation and knowledge transfer sessions as required
- IT lead on all 3rd party application support including keeping an applications register and technical documentation on set up, design schema, known issues and trouble-shooting scripts
- Manage the 3rd party IT contracts and support for SAP, HRIS, UPM and CALM
- Impact assess and recommend options for Database and application development and support the design, set-up, testing, deployment, data preparation, cleansing and migration activities
- Work with 3rd parties, projects and other IT colleagues to ensure new requirements for applications are clear and understood and solutions are fit for purpose and delivered on time
- Maintain 2012/2014 SQL and other Database & web hosting servers in Production and Non-Production environments and ensure effective controls – TDA, upgrades, patches, integration, tuning, DR, backups, security, technical specifications and compliance with change control
- Conduct daily, weekly and monthly maintenance checks and take the appropriate remedial action in conjunction with IT staff, users, senior management and change control processes
- Monitor Database and application efficiency, alerts, thresholds, warnings, notifications, licence renewal and upgrade dates and take appropriate actions to prevent outages
- Develop and automate DBA operational tasks using DevOps tools, perform technical trouble shooting and recommend or carry out improvements to mitigate issues
- Support the BI repots platform, write SQL code and create query definitions that allow data to be extracted, analysed and reported e.g. ETL routines, other scripts, dashboards
- Ensure compliance with network and data security and Data ProtectionKeep abreast of developments in the IT industry to ensure solutions adhere to industry standard and innovations are monitored and researched for future added value
- Ability to contribute technical expertise to IT Strategy development and applications roadmap
- Ability to translate business requirements into successful IT solution designs
- Proficiency in using good practice techniques for structured review and design of secure Database and Applications, functional and technical specifications, technical documents, scripts and plans
- Strong skills in delivering great service in Database and application infrastructure support maintenance and development and in managing test, release and deployment processes
- Able to use reporting tools to produce performance and information management reports
- Proficiency in SQL server 2008/2012/2014), Data Security, Standards, Compliance & Protection
- Ability to effectively problem solve and identify ways to mitigate incidents
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure, on own initiative and as part of a team to meet SLAs and deadlines
- Significant experience as a DBA with MS SQL Server 2008/2012/2014, in applications support, VCloud operating systems, Active Directory, VMWare, ETL, data migration, Windows Server 2008/2012/2014, networking interfaces - DNS, DHCP, IIS, SMTP, web hosting and BI platforms
- Strong experience in working with service desk, on infrastructure projects and with 3rd party colleagues to support and resolve 2nd and 3rd line incidents
- Extensive experience in providing day to day DBA and applications support, maintenance and development services at 3rd line and on projects and operational changes
- Significant experience with Data Warehousing, BI universes and data marts and using reporting tools to run queries and extract and present information and insights in reports and dashboards
- Proven experience in Database and application performance tuning, optimisation, backups, restores and recovery from snapshots, restores and backups
- Experience in using scripts (e.g. PowerShell) and replication technology to automate deployments and migrate data from source to destination systems
- Knowledge of source control systems (VSTS, TFS, Git, etc.)
- Significant experience in supporting web hosting platforms and application services and using website usage reporting tools
- Experience in adhering to IT security standards such as ISO27001 or similar and dealing with cyber security incidents and resolutions
- Outstanding collaboration, communication and relationship building skills and minimal conflict in working relationships with others
- A degree in IT, or a related business topic, or equivalent practical work experience
- Certified or highly knowledgeable in database, applications and web hosting infrastructure support
- Certification or significant experience in MS SQL Server 2008/2012/2014
- Web services development, Linux .Net etc
- Committed to delivering a high level of customer service
- Passionate about getting things right first time
- A sense of urgency and commitment to completion of work, attention to detail, quality and confidentiality
- Committed to continuing professional development and keeping skills and knowledge up to date
The role is based in Westminster and requires working at Lambeth Palace or Bermondsey with occasional travel to Supported Housing locations across the Country
- Project management certificate
- Systems Analysis certificate
We in the National Church Institutions support the mission and ministries of the Church all over England. We work with parishes, dioceses (regional offices), schools, other ministries and our partners at a national and international level.
Excellence, Respect, Integrity
We follow these three values in everything we do, whether we are of Christian faith, another faith or no faith. To learn more about working for National Church Institutions and our benefits, please click here
As we are a member of the Armed Forces Covenant, we welcome all applications from those you have served in our Armed Forces and their families
We are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. As part of this commitment, we welcome applications from people, regardless of their background. As a Disability Confident committed employer, it is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practical or appropriate to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria* due to high volume. We limit the amount of interviews conducted to five applicants per open post we advertise.
*Where applicable depending on post requirements.