Birmingham is the UK’s second city with the youngest urban population in one of the most lively and diverse regions. The Church of England Birmingham is one of the 41 dioceses of the Church of England. It covers an area of nearly 300 square miles and includes parishes in Birmingham and parts of Solihull, Sandwell, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
Right at the heart of what we do there are over 187 churches and other worshipping communities with an average weekly attendance of 17,000. Our worshipping communities represent a wide scope of tradition, ethnicity, age and background.
As part of Church of England Birmingham’s People & Places framework, our parishes and worshipping communities are refreshing their Transforming Church Action plans – and many are creating new ones to inspire and focus their mission for the next 5 years. Working under the direction & support of the Transforming Church Mission Facilitator, the role holder will work collaboratively with The Director of PMS, Area Deans and wider specialists to support intentional mission planning through the development of Transforming Church Mission Action Plans (TCAPs), supporting and accompanying parishes, deaneries and individual worshipping communities with mission and outreach planning across a variety of contexts and traditions.
Please click here for further information on People and Places.
Please click here for further information on Transforming Church
• Supporting the TCAP Facilitator and Director of Parish Mission Support
• Building positive, supportive relationships at local level
• Envisioning and facilitating missional culture change across Birmingham diocese.
• Practical development of TCAPs
• Ensuring that all parishes in the TCAP facilitation process produce a TCAP; supporting and enabling completion and fruitful implementation.
• Developing and signposting to learning that inspires, encourages and supports
• Offering relevant and appropriate resources for individual contexts.
• Keeping accurate records and providing full and accurate reporting to agreed deadlines
• Other specific projects to support local mission as agreed or required by the Director of Parish Mission Support or TCAP Facilitator
We are looking for a creative, mission-focused individual with a string drive for seeing tasks and projects through to completion, who will quickly build relationships of trust in a variety of contexts resulting in effective local TCAP mission plans. They will have:
· An understanding of local mission in an Anglican context
· A friendly and warm character with natural ability to inspire, relate to and build trust quickly with a diverse range of people.
· Clear strategic thinking with a proven ability to creatively respond to local missional opportunities
· A strong drive for seeing tasks and projects through to completion
· Experience of facilitating/creating plans for mission and evangelism
· Evidence of having brought about an element of culture change in a church or organisation
· Excellent communication skills with a passion/zeal for sharing faith and envisioning others to do so
· Experience, awareness or understanding of more than one tradition within the Church of England
· Knowledge of the different traditions’ approaches to mission and evangelism across the breadth of the Church of England
· A commitment to collaborative team-working with appropriate initiative and self-motivation
· An ability to prioritize and handle a number of projects simultaneously
· A commitment to promoting and modelling best practice in Safeguarding
· A valid driving licence with primary use of a vehicle
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
· The role reports to the Transforming Church Mission Facilitator playing a full part in the Parish Mission Support team.
· Salary of £28,000 plus membership of the Church Worker’s Pension Scheme with 12% employer contribution
· 3 year fixed term contract
· 25 days holiday per year plus Bank Holidays plus 3 additional Diocesan Discretionary Days
· The employer is the BDBF (Birmingham Diocesan Board of Finance)
· Part-time/a flexible approach to working may be considered
Deadline for Applications: Tuesday 1st October
Interviews: Monday 14th October
(To be held in our offices at 1 Colmore Row, Birmingham, B3 2BJ)
If you would like to have a conversation about the role, you can contact our
TCAP Facilitator, Damian Herbert at DamianH@cofebirmingham.com