Posted 20 days agoExpires in 2 days
Fixed Term Full Time
£30,909 p.a. rising to £33,452 p.a. after probation
Lambeth Palace is a unique building of great historical and global significance. It is, first and foremost, the home of the Archbishop of Canterbury and their family, as well as home to a wider, diverse and thriving, residential community. It is also an office and the epicentre of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s ministry to the Church of England and the global Anglican Communion. It is a Grade I listed building comprising various listed buildings dating from the 12th to the 21st centuries, set within 10 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens.
By its nature and location, Lambeth Palace is seen as an iconic statement of the values and the nature of the Church of England, the Anglican Communion and the ministry of the Archbishop of Canterbury. As such, the way it is managed is essential to the witness and ministry exercised or exemplified within its boundaries. It requires flair to work well, joy to give atmosphere, peace to encourage ministry and love to welcome guests of all kinds.
This is a new and high profile role based in the unique environment of Lambeth Palace.
As Event Manager, you will oversee the day to day management of the events operation at Lambeth Palace. Working closely with the Event Coordinator, you will make sure that events operate effectively, efficiently and to the highest possible standards.
In line with the Archbishop’s wishes, you will assist with the development of events in order to open up the Palace more to the public, increasing awareness of the Archbishop’s ministry, and generating income that can contribute to the upkeep and work of the Palace.
In collaboration with the wider events team, you will also play a key role in the setting of the tone and ethos of the practical operational extension of the Archbishop’s ministry.
To be successful, you will need significant experience as an Event Manager, preferably in a heritage or listed building, excellent team leadership and management skills and an innovative, creative and motivated approach which will inspire confidence and improve efficiency and effectiveness. Customer oriented with excellent inter-personal and communication skills, you will welcome guests of all kinds, always mindful and sympathetic to the significance of Lambeth Palace as the Home and office of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
This is a fixed term contract expected to last for 18 months.
Interviews will be held on Monday 7th October 2019.
In return we offer a unique environment with opportunities for continuous learning, generous annual leave for work life balance, season ticket loans and a range of benefits including discounted entry to attractions and what we feel is a market leading package when it comes to our pension scheme.
- Oversee the day to day management of the events operation at Lambeth Palace, ensuring it operates effectively, efficiently, to the highest possible standards.
- Facilitating and coordinating the Events Diary and making sure that it is reconciled with the Artifax event management system.
- To act as lead on specific events both, operationally and administratively, liaising with key stakeholders, suppliers and contractors to ensure these events’ success.
- Working autonomously as well as in a team to deliver a programme of events that meet the highest possible standards.
- To ensure the Hospitality Team is proactive in its day to day communication and coordination with key stakeholders (internal and external), especially those that interface most regularly with the events operation.
- To manage small teams, including waiting staff, and occasional volunteers effectively and efficiently, as well as making logistic and operations decisions about how to utilise these teams when selling and organising events both internally and externally.
- To work closely with the Head Chef in regard to menu planning for clients.
- To ensure each of your assigned events are delivered and managed safely, adhering to Health & Safety, Food Standards and all other relevant legislation, protecting guests, visitors and colleagues alike.
- Taking an active role in all areas of the Events and Hospitality offering at Lambeth Palace, including occasional administrative assistance with tours and managing stock and layout of its small gift shop.
- In the planning, communicating and execution of events, being constantly mindful and sympathetic to the significance of Lambeth Palace as the home and office of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Experience with an event management system
- Excellent team leadership and management skills
- An excellent command of English, including accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Excellent IT skills, including word processing skills, and proficient in the use of Office 365.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to articulate clearly and sensitively.
- Highly self-motivated and able to keep momentum throughout both short-term and long-term projects.
- Ability to draft and prepare written reports and other documentation.
- The ability to speak and present in public with confidence.
- Excellent inter-personal and diplomatic skills, with proven experience of relating to people at all levels.
- Innovative and creative with the ability to bring forward systems and processes to enable increased efficiency and effectiveness.
- Excellent attention to detail with a sense of responsibility that the work issued is of a consistently high and professional standard.
- Highly discreet and diplomatic.
- Proven ability to work calmly under pressure using initiative.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively to achieve results.
- Having sufficient personal confidence to influence people; to deal tactfully and effectively with people at all levels; and to negotiate commercially advantageous deals.
- Proactive, able to go out to create new contacts and find business.
- Excellent organisational, planning, prioritising, and forward-thinking skills.
- Financial management and reporting skills.
- Able to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
- A problem solver with the ability to think creatively and quickly to solve problems.
- Significant experience as an Event Manager, preferably in a heritage or listed building.
- Proven experience of managing first-class, professional, high-profile and complex events for large numbers of people.
- Sufficient interest in, and knowledge of, the ministry to which God has called the Archbishop of Canterbury, and an ability to demonstrate a sense of the wider purpose of the events operation as an extension of that ministry.
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating staff and sub-contractors and/or volunteers, and of working in a larger team.
- An enthusiasm for history, for working in a building of great historical significance and a willingness to learn and absorb the ethos and history of Lambeth Palace.
- Able to work flexibly, particularly evenings and some Saturdays.
- Degree, or equivalent, in Events/Hospitality management.
- Personal License Holder
We in the National Church Institutions support the mission and ministries of the Church all over England. We work with parishes, dioceses (regional offices), schools, other ministries and our partners at a national and international level.
Excellence, Respect, Integrity
We follow these three values in everything we do, whether we are of Christian faith, another faith or no faith. To learn more about working for National Church Institutions and our benefits, please click here
As we are a member of the Armed Forces Covenant, we welcome all applications from those you have served in our Armed Forces and their families
We are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. As part of this commitment, we welcome applications from people, regardless of their background. As a Disability Confident committed employer, it is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practical or appropriate to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria* due to high volume. We limit the amount of interviews conducted to five applicants per open post we advertise.
*Where applicable depending on post requirements.