Posted 21 days agoExpires in 11 days
£26,681p.a. rising to £28,304p.a. after probation
The Church of England Pensions Board (the Board) is a statutory body which is a corporate trustee and administrator of four pension schemes, including both defined benefit (final salary, hybrid and CARE) and defined contribution arrangements. The Pensions Department is responsible for the administration of the pension schemes and for administering several charitable funds for the benefit of those retired from the stipendiary ministry and clergy dependants
The Pensioners Payroll section is part of the NCIs Pensions Board and are responsible for delivering the monthly, quarterly and annual payrolls for circa 19,000 of The Church of England Pensions Board Pensioners and dependants. The team comprises of a Team Leader and three Payroll Administrators.
The nature of payroll is that the workload fluctuates to meet monthly deadlines and also peaks each month but particularly at tax year end/start and financial year end. The Pensioner payrolls currently runs using Civica UPM.
As Pensions Payroll Administrator, you will be working as part of the team to ensure that Pensions payrolls are processed accurately and on time.
You will provide an accurate and timely service for payees and other internal & external customers, in accordance with statutory deadlines. In addition, you will provide support to the Pensions Payroll Team Leader in meeting the requirements of the section's service level agreement (SLA).
To be successful, you will need experience of payments or systems which facilitate transactions to customers and or third parties and of delivering an excellent standard of service to a large number of customers.
With a meticulous and thorough approach, you will identify priorities, working calmly under pressure to meet deadlines.
Interviews will be held w/c 23rd September 2019
In return we offer a unique environment with opportunities for continuous learning,generous annual leave for work life balance, season ticket loans and a range of benefits including discounted entry to attractions and what we feel is a market leading package when it comes to our pension scheme.
- Working as part of the Pensions Payroll section to ensure the three Pensions payrolls for circa 19,000 pensioners are processed accurately and on time for the monthly, quarterly and annual paydays.
- End to end payroll administration including new retirees/dependants, death case calculations, bank details, address changes, payments, deductions, validation checks, variance checks, PAYE (tax codes), Court Orders and GAYE. Plus facilitate offline payments for advances, out of cycle new retirees/dependants and returned payments.
- Supporting the Pensions Payroll Team Leader in ensuring that a high standard of service is provided to all customers in line with the sections service level agreement (SLAs).
- Input pensioner bank and address changes.
- Authorising pensioner bank and address changes.
- Confirming new pensioners onto payroll and updating records.
- Updating tax code changes on pensioner records.
- Authorising the inputting of P45 figures for new pensioners, when required.
- Authorising tax code downloads.
- Calculating under/over payments of benefits on death in retirement.
- Administration of death case under/overpayment process.
- Authorising death case calculations and ensuring correct details supplied to Pensions Administration team and HMRC (by RTI).
- Administration of returned post process.
- Support of scanning administration process.
- Ensure statutory payments are requested from the Accounts department accurately and on time.
- Update payment templates for overseas pensioners on the Western Union Payments System
- Communicating with a variety of clients to answer queries and questions via telephone, email and letter at the same time ensuring full compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Answering queries from pensioner payees, their advisers and other customers.
- Liaising with HMRC where required for tax code and starter/leaver related queries.
- Maintaining harmonious working relationships with colleagues and customers.
- Training of other staff as required.
- To assist the Pensions Payroll Team Leader and Payroll Manager (Pensions Payroll, Information and Reporting) with tax year end and tax year start responsibilities.
- Work with the Pensions Payroll Team Leader and Payroll Manager (Pensions Payroll, Information and Reporting) in carrying out regular reviews to identify and implement improvements in processes and service.
- Maintain a professional and productive working relationship with the Pensions Board Admin team.
- Helping with the general running of the department and carrying out other duties as may be required.
The Requirements :
- Computer literacy in Windows applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Very good numerical skills
- A meticulous and thorough approach with the ability to work accurately
- Able to identify priorities and plan and organise daily work routines
- Ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Able to understand customers and their concerns
- Ability to draft clear and concise correspondence
- Confident, polite telephone manner, with ability to express points clearly and sympathetically when required
- Experience and knowledge of a integrated database system using workflows
- Experience and knowledge of payments or transactional systems which facilitate transactions to customers and or third parties
- Experience of dealing with a large volume of customers
- Experience of delivering excellent customer service
- Experience of working within a team environment
- A Level or equivalent standard and proven experience within a Pension Payroll or Pensions Administrator role
- CIPP National Payroll Certificate or similar
- Civica UPM Payroll system or transferable Payroll systems experience
- Able to identify process improvements and manage any subsequent changes
- Up to date knowledge of UK payroll legislation including PAYE, Court Orders, GAYE, and tax year start/tax year end
- Experience of servicing a Pensioners customer base
- Experience and knowledge of payment systems such as BONYM and Western Union or similar
- Able to organise the workload for the team in Pensions Payroll Team Leaders absence
- Experience of user acceptance testing for system upgrades and Tax Year End/Start
We in the National Church Institutions support the mission and ministries of the Church all over England. We work with parishes, dioceses (regional offices), schools, other ministries and our partners at a national and international level.
Excellence, Respect, Integrity
We follow these three values in everything we do, whether we are of Christian faith, another faith or no faith. To learn more about working for National Church Institutions and our benefits, please clickhere
As we are a member of the Armed Forces Covenant, we welcome all applications from those you have served in our Armed Forces and their families
We are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. As part of this commitment, we welcome applications from people, regardless of their background. As a Disability Confident committed employer, it is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practical or appropriate to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria* due to high volume. We limit the amount of interviews conducted to five applicants per open post we advertise.
*Where applicable depending on post requirements.