Posted 7 days agoExpires in 1 month
Church House Guildford, 20 Alan Turing, Road, Guildford
Fixed Term Part Time
Competitive salary in charity sector;
We are looking for an Interim Accounts Assistant to provide cover for a period of maternity leave, which we currently expect to end at the end of October 2019.
- To receive from budget holders/department heads pre-coded and authorised invoices and payment requests with supporting documentation
- To review and check documentation as appropriate then post them to the purchase ledgers
- To import transactions from the property management database
- Process Bank receipts - Review online bank statements for the GDBF and Guildford Schools accounts and post all direct bank receipts
- Bank Reconciliations - Regularly reconcile bank statements for the GDBF and Guildford schools ledger. Input and post any outstanding transactions within the accounting system
Cash and Cheques Received
On a daily basis in respect of receipt transactions for GDBF and Guildford Schools:
- To list cash and cheques received on the paying in slip
- To post the receipts into the accounting system as separate batches of sales ledger receipts and cashbook receipts
- To reconcile the batch total to the paying in slip total and post the batch once any discrepancies have been resolved
- To allocate the cash received in the sales ledger as appropriate
- To bank such cash and cheques
- To file and scan documentation in accordance with current procedures
- To receive, input, scan and file pre-coded sales invoices issued by other departments
- To send out statements and monitor the aged debtor report on a regular basis and to work together with the Finance Manager to investigate any outstanding amounts
Other Specific Responsibilities
- To maintain an imprest petty cash float, ensuring that the float is reimbursed at least quarterly, and that transactions are posted and coded monthly
- To record all donations to the annual Bishops Lent Appeal and ensure that gift aid is claimed appropriately and disbursements made
To work as a member of the Finance Department, covering as necessary in colleagues’ absence, and during periods when workloads are heavy, and to undertake any additional occasional duties as may be required.
- GCSE grade C or equivalent in Mathematics
- A Level or equivalent in Mathematics
- Experience of working within an accounting department including accounts payable and banking responsibilities
- Balancing speed with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and work on own initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member and also to work independently as required.
- Good Excel and IT computer skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the Church of England and its structures
The Diocese of Guildford covers the western two-thirds of Surrey and a significant area of north-east Hampshire. It also includes one parish in a London borough and one in rural West Sussex. In the north-east, it is largely suburban, but moving south and west, there are a number of distinct towns and numerous villages. The south-west has a more rural feel to it, but the north-east is largely suburban. The population is just over a million, rising in line with the national rate.
The Diocese has two archdeaconries, each with six deaneries, and a total of 161 parishes.A great deal of the work of the church is done at a local level by the parishes. The diocesan teams support and encourage the work of the parishes, and also work with wider networks to the mutual benefit of the church and society at local, regional and national levels.
Transforming Church, Transforming Lives is the vision of the Diocese of Guildford, launched in September 2016 following a long period of prayer and consultation. It envisages individuals and church communities open to the transforming work of God’s Spirit in their own lives, and so becoming agents of Christ’s transformation to the world around them.