We are seeking to revive a key landmark building as the hub for a weekday centre of worship and mission in Leeds City Centre that will reach professionals with the Good News of Jesus Christ.
We have clarity about how we hope to achieve this (please see the ‘Bid for Strategic Development’ document) and about the kind of person we are praying will come and join us to lead the project (see the ‘Missioner to Business Role Description’ document).
Might God be calling you towards discerning with us whether you are the person we need to come and join us?
For an informal conversation about the post, please contact the Rector of Leeds, Canon Sam Corley, by email in the first instance to arrange a conversation:- firstname.lastname@example.org or 07966 524683
Closing date for applications: Noon on Friday, 22nd March 2019
Orientation around Leeds for those shortlisted:
From 1pm on Thursday 4th April 2019
(Overnight accommodation will be provided if required)
Interviews in Leeds: Friday 5th April 2019
Establish and lead a week-day ministry of worship, mission and outreach to non-Christian young professionals working in Leeds city centre.
Summary of Responsibilities and Objectives
- To develop a clear vision and strategy for the project, including being fully self-sufficient financially after five years;
- To recruit and build a team (curate, administrator and three interns) who are ready to assist in launching and growing the project in its initial stages from September 2020;
- To lead a staff team to help deliver the vision and oversee the day-to-day running of the project;
- To plan the launch, first 100 days of the project in detail, and then develop plans and strategies to support the on-going progress and development of the project;
- To network effectively with businesses and business leaders across Leeds city centre;
- To form effective links with Christian business groups in the City;
- To form an initial core of 20 people of young professionals from existing resource churches ahead of the project launch;
- To make new disciples, particularly among those under the age of 40, integrating them into the congregations at Holy Trinity and creating a culture of invitation, evangelism and discipleship within those communities;
- To prepare and lead creative worship and prayer and exercise an engaging bible-based teaching and preaching ministry through mid-week gatherings that is consistently applied to the workplace;
- To develop a programme of events and course to enable professionals working in Leeds opportunities to explore the Christian faith and to grow in discipleship;
- To develop and maintain an on-line presence through effective use of social media, blogs and websites;
- To provide reflections and material exploring the interplay between faith and the workplace to be disseminated through blogs and email bulletins;
- To exercise an effective pastoral ministry;
- To build congregations committed to prayer, bible study, evangelism and whole life discipleship;
- To challenge members of congregations to give generously financially as a response to God’s generosity and to further the project’s mission;
- To develop leaders who lead their colleagues to Christ, impact their workplaces, grow the church and support the wider diocesan vision, priorities and growth agenda;
- To be a member of the Leeds Area Programme Board for the projects funded by Strategic Development Funding, reporting regularly and sharing learning;
- To play a full part in deanery, city and diocese by helping to encourage mission-minded values of confident faith in Christ, generosity, unity and humility;
- To set a high standard in personal conduct, setting and maintaining appropriate boundaries;
- To be a role model to the congregations in terms of personal spiritual discipline and accountability, emphasising reliance on God, openness to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and the centrality of prayer.
The ideal candidate
- An ordained priest within the Church of England, or a Church in communion with it.
Ministry experience and leadership in a city centre context;
- Proven track record of leading and enabling church growth, particularly among young adults;
- Practical experience in leading people to faith in Jesus Christ as well as bringing people to a deeper understanding of their own faith and their discipleship of Jesus Christ;
- Strong preaching, teaching and communication skills;
- Able to use social media to grow and develop networks;
- Able to demonstrate effective management of projects and organisations as an organiser and problem solver;
- Proven track record of recognising and growing lay and ordained leaders, and in growing the confidence of God’s people;
- Experience of developing new start up developments;
- Effective manager of people as an enabler, delegator and team player and an effective training incumbent and line manager;
- Experience and understanding of corporate environments and business culture;
- Experience of relating faith to work;
- Able to relate to a wide variety of people, including people of influence within organisation.
Character and Personal Qualities
- Confident in their own faith and secure in their own identity as a Christian leader;
- Generous in giving away ministry, training and releasing other leaders for the benefit of the kingdom of God;
- Demonstrable strong leadership qualities and skills including ability to relate well to variety of people, able to cast vision, inspire, support and empower others;
- Able to work collaboratively and consultatively with other churches;
- High level of emotional intelligence, grounded in strong value base;
For full details please refer to the Role Description/Person specification document attached
For more information about this application process, please use this link
We are already working hard on the building works required to enable the church building to be an asset for mission, and we will continue to oversee the building works associated with the project. What we need is someone who can take forward planning the new ministry, including recruiting a team and gathering a core before activity out of Holy Trinity Church, Boar Lane begins in September 2020. To give adequate time for that and for building networks with Christians, churches and business across the city. we hope to have the Missioner to Business in post by September 2019.