Posted 3 months agoExpires in 16 days
The Church of St Peter, Folkestone, is the Parish Church of the East Cliff area of Folkestone.
It is a church rooted in the traditional Catholic expression of the Church of England and has a proud history of service to this part of Folkestone which has faced a number of socio-economic challenges over the years. In a town which is changing through development and in a Church that is serving a changing society, St Peter's wishes to continue to offer excellent, Catholic worship and incarnational mission to the community and build these up further for the task facing today's Church.
The Bishop of Dover and the Patron wish to appoint a mission-minded priest in the Catholic tradition to be Mission Priest (Priest-in-Charge) for S. Peter’s. This is an innovative role, jointly funded by the Diocese and the Forward in Folkestone Foundation, for a full-time priest to lead the parish as it continues to grow in numbers and confidence after a time of rebuilding, both physically and spiritually.
Our new priest will be a man who
- wants to care for all in our parish and those who visit;
- will engage with the entire community to witness to the faith;
- has the Christian courage, confidence and charisma to lead, renew and inspire;
- understands liturgy and Catholic tradition and how it can speak to all people today;
- is a priest of the Society, or in sympathy with its aims.
What we can offer:
- a church filled with real presence, where the Holy Spirit is at work, ripe for teaching and growth;
- a strong team of laity and retired clergy who await your leadership but will care for you, too;
- a challenge! Our parish is one with much potential but also has much hidden deprivation and complex needs;
- A famous Anglo-Catholic mission church, newly restored, which serves as a beacon of faith across Folkestone and southeast Kent.
The parish has passed the Resolution under the House of Bishops’ Declaration on the Ministry of Bishops and Priests.
Closing date: 05/05/2019
- To be a pastor to the parish of St Peter's, offering pastoral care and the Occasional Offices to all
- Leading our worship and preaching so that we can engage with God and be built up as his people
- Teaching and leading the people to build up the laity to proclaim the Kingdom
- Engaging with the wider Church and society to serve the community and proclaim the Gospel
- Working closely to support our local schools
- A mission priest with Christian courage, confidence and charisma, who, with a generous heart, will lead, renew and inspire us.
- Someone who brings out the best in others and will galvanise the laity to proclaim the Gospel and in-break the Kingdom
- A man who is prepared to work hard to increase our presence in the Parish and Town
- Someone able to embrace and reach out to the schools, the Parish and beyond
- A man who is committed to providing pastoral care to the residents, businesses and schools of the Parish as well as to those who attend the Church from further afield
- A Priest with a good understanding of the Liturgy and the Catholic tradition of the Anglican Church
For more information about this application process, please use this link